Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Favourites- breastfeeding edition

 
since last week or the week before that was world breastfeeding week,
and every week is breastfeeding week to Georgie and I
I thought I would share some of my favourite bf'ing aids to keep the supply plentiful.

(not in any particular order)
 
1/. Coconut Oil- is beyond amazing. I don't think there is anything it can't do, ok that's probably a bit extreme but when it comes to your health this stuff is magical! I have used it as a nipple conditioner, I have slathered all over my boobs when I felt a blockage coming on, I ingest a tablespoon or two at night which helps with milk production as well as my digestion! Honestly, go get yourself a jar or two or three just make sure it is raw, extra virgin and organic. I use this brand.....
for other benefits click here
 
 
 2/. Beer- sipping on a cold one after the littles are in bed brings a whole new meaning to night cap!The polysaccharides in the barley used to make beer stimulates prolactin which helps us mamas make more milk. I indulge in my beverage when I know that little miss will be asleep for a few hours which allows any alcohol to clear from my milk. **It is recommended that you wait 2 hours after having a drink before breastfeeding** Guy and I quite enjoy tasting new beers from around the world, we call them fancies and its fun to sample new brews other than just the regular brands. This is a nice relatively light beer I have been enjoying lately!
 
 
3/. Water- just can't be beat. This is the most important thing a nursing mama can drink and lots of it! Between 8-14 glasses a day is the recommendation, drinking a glass either while you feed or just afterwards is a good way to ensure you are getting enough of the clear stuff. Adding a bit of fresh lemon is also a good way to spruce it up a bit and get some extra Vitamin C!
 
 
 
 
4/. Smoothies- eating well is obviously important for every one's health but is crucial for good milk supply. Throw no sleep and a baby into the mix and time isn't always on your side to prepare nutritious meals. A smoothie can provide an excellent meal very quickly! Lately I have been blending up coconut water, banana, scoop of protein powder, handful of spinach or kale leaves and frozen berries. If you Google smoothies there about a ba-gillion recipes out there to try!
 

5/. Tea-there's nothing like sipping on a tea to help slow things down a bit. I don't know about you but I don't rush when I'm drinking a tea, it's settling and forces me to relax a little. Really, who slams back a tea or chugs it? Nobody. It's a mind, body, soul thing soooooo I recommend steeping up a Milkmaid or a Red Raspberry LeafNote: Milkmaid tea is not recommended for pregnant mamas, Red Raspberry Leaf tea on the other hand is most definitely something I drank throughout my pregnancy! I drank between 2-3 brews a day during the last month and judging by my quick and easy labour and delivery I 'd say it certainly didn't hurt.
 


Now as for things such as nursing bras, pumps, bottles etc. I'm no expert. I don't have any nursing bras, I have this pump that I used sparingly with Oliver and never for Georgie which means the same for the bottles. I breastfeed exclusively with my breasts (because I just find it easier than messing around with other stuff) so as for any bf gadgets recommendations, I don't really have any.
 
I've been very lucky to have such an easy time with breastfeeding. I haven't had cracked or sore nipples (other than coconut oil, this works great too if you do) both my kids latched on within minutes of their birth. Although Oliver did have a hunger strike during a mad teething session for 3 days once that really threw me for a loop! I don't worry about how much they are taking in at each feed since Oliver grew and gained so rapidly and Georgie is well on her way! The benefits of breastfeeding are tremendous both for mother and babe. Honestly it wasn't something I put too much thought into, I just knew it was the right choice for me and my children. 

snack time!

But it was and is a choice and isn't something that everyone is comfortable with. I can't begin to imagine how difficult and trying it would be to have latching or supply issues, especially with the second baby there is NO time for feeding problems! I certainly don't want to sound high and mighty about bf'ing or project judgement on formula feeding.
Do what works for you and your family.

If you are having trouble or have questions about breastfeeding
check your area for clinics or support groups, I know there is both in my small community!
And be kind to other fellow mamas out there, in times of sleep deprivation and uneven hormones we need support not competition. xoxo

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...